Sunday, November 11, 2007

My Favorite Veteran & his war story

The Veteran that is most special to me is my grandfather, Russell Murphy. My mom's father. My mom's mom, his wife, is Evelyn.... my biggest life influencer and hero that just went to heaven this Mother's Day 2007.

One of the first things I will want to see from God's perspective is why my PopPop had to die when he did. I wish I could have gotten to know him more. I was little, about 9 when he went to heaven... and my grandma was never the same after he passed. I have learned soo much from him from my memories and what my grandma and mom have taught me about him. When grandma and PopPop were married, they became one, and I really don't think that after he passed, she was okay with functioniong and staying here on this earth without him. I don't know why it was his time....maybe some day I will.


But, I do know now that I am soo thankful that God protected PopPop through his service in World War II. In fact every American should be thankful that God protected my grandfather. My grandfather served in the 29th Infantry Division. This division on D-Day, June 1944 stormed ashore on Omaha Beach to win a beachhead. And during eleven months of combat that followed in 4 major campaigns (Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland and Central Europe) had nearly 20,000 casualties that were killed wounded and missing.


We went to see Saving Private Ryan when it was released... and we couldn't watch it. The opening scenes on Omaha Beach were heartbreaking for us. The conditions were described as unbearable.. it was hard even to watch in the theatre and to know that is what PopPop had to endure, and that was just the start of the combat experiences. Any serviceman who got through those first days I know were just saved by Divine intervention. I'm so glad grandma didn't see the movie....it would have been too much for her. She is the most wise woman I know... she said she would definitely not see the movie becaue if God intended her to see war, he would have brought her to it or brought it to her. And I agree... I can't watch war movies like that anymore for one because there's no way a movie can truly capture what it was like for these men and I don't want to pretend I understand what they went through. Also, I'm sure my PopPop would have never wanted me to see what he had to....


....He fought over THERE so I would NOT have to see war here.

In the Washington Post in 1988, there was an article written that included portions of my grandfather's story. I have the article saved away, but I can't get it out right now.. so I will just insert here the synopsis that just has the photos and captions from the first page of the article.....


The Washington Post (pre-1997 Fulltext) - Washington, D.C.
Author: Charles Babcock
Date: Nov 6, 1988
Section: MAGAZINE
Text Word Count: 5226
Clues to the mystery of [Ray Babcock]'s experiences in World War II

PHOTO

CAPTION:Babcock's friend [Russell Murphy], above, with the battalion's only working radio, just after crossing the Roer River in February 1945. Murphy won a Bronze Star for his actions that day.

PHOTO

CAPTION:Russell Murphy, left, by now Company I's communications sergeant, and the author's father, Ray Babcock, by now the company's first-sergeant, in Bremen, Germany, on July 30, 1945, during the early days of the Occupation. Left, Babcock's Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals.

PHOTO

CAPTION:Russell Murphy at Company I's reunion last July, holding a photograph of his basic-training outfit. Left, the 29th Division's shoulder patch. The unit is called the Blue-Gray Division because elements of it fought on both sides during the Civil War. The insignia can still be seen on the walls of a hospital in St. Lo^, France.

PHOTO

CAPTION:Al Ungerleider, left, Russell Murphy and [Marshall Chern] visit the grave of a 115th Regiment comrade at the cemetery above Omaha Beach where thousands of Americans are buried. The three journeyed to France in September to dedicate a memorial to the 29th Division. Right, a map traces the battle path of the division from June 6, 1944, to May 7, 1945.


Like that first caption reads, Pop Pop did have the only working radio after crossing the Roer River.... you may remember a whole portion of Saving Private Ryan that included a story line almost exact to PopPop's experiences. It seems to be loosely based on his experiences. So that is why we should ALL be thankful that it was not PopPop's time until 1992. Who knows what would have happened if he also did not make it off the beachheads, or if his radio was also broken, or if he was not able to perform his duty for whatever othe reason. The radioman's job was one of the hardest. Imagine having to perform, and be as quick as everybody else but carry a huge pack on your back and also protect yourself. Those radios were not a little walkie talkie, they were huge and heavy!

PopPop made it through the war basically unharmed (physically) yet I'm sure it did some damage to his heart. I always remember him as being a gentle, Jesus loving, God fearing man. I don't remember him being bitter, or beaten down or knocked down at all... though I'm sure he came back from WWII a different man than he went.

I am so proud to be PopPop's granddaughter. He always had the upmost respect for our flag, our country, our traditions, our ideals and our history. He knew what he fought for! He was so proud of what he was fighting for. When I see how disrespectful and familiar some people are with our traditions and even our flag, I sometimes think.. I'm glad PopPop didn't have to see this.

Thank you so much God for PopPop... when I go to heaven will I be able to talk to him about our experiences here on earth or will all this not matter anymore? I have so many things I want to tell PopPop about and I want him to know that he did pass on his love for God and country to all of us! I want him to be proud of me! I want him to know that I try my best to respect and stick up for the values he loved and fought for! I want to hear anything he will tell me about the war. I remember him telling lots of great stories when I was little..but I was too young to appreciate them.

I love my PopPop!!!!!!!!

http://www.29thdivision.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment