Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving

I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving Day!

I have SO much to be thankful for. It's just unreal. I try to list all the things I need to thank God for... but I get overwhelmed because there's MILLIONS! Today, as usual, after I hung up the phone with mom, my hand dialed grandma's number...forgetting she's in heaven. But I wasn't sad like I thought I would be. I have to admit, I feel a lot of peace and almost joy about our situation now. I don't worry about her at all anymore. I don't fear for what the next month/year will bring for her. I am totally happy for her even though I miss her so much.

Many of the relatives we hung out with this weekend lost family members this year (Ding Dong and Donna's father too) and they did not take the holidays as well as I did. For many reasons I guess.... one being that I have missed grandma for 6 years. I have missed her physical presence since I had moved to North Carolina.. and in the last years, missed her as her mind prepared for heaven. The 2nd reason being that grandma and I were soo incredibly close and kindred spirits to the point where we really had nothing left unspoken. We absolutely loved and adored and cherished each other. We both knew how the other felt and we knew we would be together for eternity. Man I wish I could hug and kiss her this Thanksgiving but it's okay.

She is definitely one of the top 5 things in my life that I am most thankful for.

I will be writing a post soon about the true meaning and origin of Thanksgiving and how special that origin is to me.

Our Thanksgiving recap:
We drove up to my in laws about 2 1/2 hours away on Wednesday night. Thursday we went to Aunt Theresa's in Wilson and had lunch with them and then came back to the in laws and ate there around 4:30. A lot of the family was there - I got a picture of all 5 brothers on the couch which is amazing! It was funny to be in their new ranch style house rather than the big house on the reservior.

All the food was sooo good! It tastes better and better every year! Now that I've cooked big meals for us and have seen all my lady relatives serve soo many people at the holidays, it's not intimidating to me at all anymore like it used to be!!! I can't wait to throw more parties and cook for more people. I get soo excited to think that I will have my dream house some day and just be able to serve and do so much for people. I have a dream of having BOTH sides of our family in OUR house for Thanksgiving (or Christmas!)

I am really excited about having Christmas this year at home just Brandon Raymond (Lennox too) and I. Brandon sounded pretty down about not being able to be around the family but when I told him weeks and weeks ago I was going to make my biggest feast ever on Christmas, it perked him up. But I'm not completely serious.... he is happy to start our own traditions and it will be nice to not have to travel. And really all the traditions and everything we look forward to are great --- but we know the true and most important reason for the season.

Today we drove home this morning, Brandon did a half day at work this afternoon and then we went downtown to watch the Christmas tree lighting on the river. It was cute! Raymond had a great time! He still has a nasty cough/cold ....my poor baby, but I know he is healed and in God's hands and is okay! more than okay!

Tonight we decorated the tree and house for Christmas! I will be posting pictures soon!!

We're excited for a fun and relaxing weekend!

Hope everybody's start of the holiday season has been as incredible as mine.

1 comment:

  1. Love your post. I miss my grandmother for -- oh my it's been 40 years. I still miss her and remember her phone number 373-1688.

    ReplyDelete