Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bear

To add onto this post http://randijosjourney.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-love-my-hometown.html that listed all the animals we've seen....

I now can add in black bear. As I was walking the stroller home from the beach - people kept stopping me (every single car that went by) saying...there's a bear eating the garbage in your front yard... AHH!! So I ventured along eyes darting left and right picturing the bear to come darting out at me around the next bush --- and I turn onto our street - and there he is, as calm as could be - eating our trash with 10 people around him taking pictures. I haven't been around bears in 8 years so I forget that they really don't care about humans. The bears are losing their home as more and more subdivisions are going up - and they are so unaffected by us. They are just part of the neighborhood during summer. They just don't even pay us any attention.

I was getting so upset because I can tell he's a baby and I kept saying oh no mama, he doesn't have any more food so he has to come to our houses. and I was getting so sad thinking their food supply will be depleted more and more and this poor baby would starve .... but my mama reassured me (and I don't know if she was being truthful or just trying to make me feel better and protecting me like when I was little) that they will not starve to death and that they just like human food and that he always comes out the night before trash day.

SOOO I guess he just likes our trash --- and OHH what a pleasant surprise to have loads and loads of Raymond's dirty diapers to eat tonight! :) What a treat!

He must have been caught before - his ear is tagged.

Here he is when I first saw him, eating Raymond's diapers.

He walked up to my parent's house to check the garbages on the side of the house and then walked back to the one he tipped over for more. There's my mama in the background!

Here he is next door.

and eating their trash... not as good as ours, because he didn't stay long.

and NOW my camera phone is offically full so I will have to wait to share more pictures with you until I get back home and can upload my digitals

What an exciting trip we've had. Now if these pictures aren't proof to my north carolina family and friends that New Jersey really is full of beauty and nature and not just big dirty cities...then I don't know what will be!!

1 comment: