Monday, July 7, 2008

Recreation, family, etc.

Papa took me to play 9 holes of golf yesterday! He is obviously feeling great and we had a great time. My first holes were PATHETIC to say the least - I haven't been golfing in quite a while.... but my last 4 holes were awesome! I absolutely love recreation. Any time I have the chance to get out and do ANY sort of sport/recreation/competition, I am there! One of my favorite things about my marriage is that we truly are each other's best friends. We do everything together. I will try anything Brandon wants to, just to be with him. Wherever he is going, whatever is he doing, I'm right there with him. We will always love to play games and sports together like children.

I LOVE the age Raymond is right now - but I also get really excited to share fun experiences with him - like golfing together, swimming, surfing, anything he wants to try! I wonder what he'll choose to pursue!!??

Part of me REALLY wants to go back and refuel my dreams of professional swimming or golfing --- but I am not willing to do what it takes (still). I have totally loved watching the Olympic trials -- with swimming obviously being my favorite. The 41 year old swimmer that made the Olympic team sparked a dream that I had kept down for a few years.

You can't live life looking back --- but I know a part of me will always say deep down.... "if only". If only I had dedicated myself like my friends did. If only I had put my whole heart into one area. I was SO over involved in everything growing up that I never fully pursued one sport full out; swimming was what I took most seriously - but even swimming - I rarely practiced compared to all the other swimmers, I didn't take it seriously. I honestly never really "got" that after my school years --- there would be no more competition. I wish it had really sunk in that I needed to appreciate the years I had in school and to really pursue sports when I could..... but I was too busy chasing boys and growing up way too fast. I even got offered chances to swim in college because college coaches looked at my times relative to how little I practiced and knew if only I could find somebody to motivate me, there would be no limit to how far I'd go.... but I declined all offers, took no phone calls from coaches.... and shut that door of my life... now I just have to count it as a lesson learned - and I know I'll make sure to pass on what I've learned to Raymond. I don't want him to make the same mistakes I did. I wonder if he'll have the same recreational gifts and abilities that Brandon and I have? Either way - I am going to pull him to excel and nudge - but never forcefully push. I want him to enjoy whatever he does and have his own choices as to how far he wants to go.

I look forward so much to watching my dad and mom as they watch Raymond excel in whatever he chooses. One of my greatest pleasures is watching my parents take pleasure in Raymond. As I watch their eyes light up and look at Raymond - thinking he is just perfect - I see a reflection of the way I believe God looks at us. My dad and mom do everything for us to be happy --- and I am starting to really understand the love they have for us. I know there's no greater feeling than seeing Raymond totally and completely happy and full of joy. I guess that is why my dad and mom have always come up with incredible experiences for us to share all together --- like our family vacation in 2 weeks!!!!!

This scare with my dad's health and being up here for 2 weeks has really tugged at my heart even more how much Raymond is missing out on by not seeing my parents more. I hope this is a turning point in all of our lives and we take our appreciation of each other to the next level. It's hard to see how close my sister's boys are to my parents --- but that's life. I know God has His hand on my life and I just have to show Raymond that we have to learn to appreciate what we are given and not be envious of what others have. God has a specific and unique purpose for us and I know Raymond is so extremely blessed and God has nothing but great plans in store for him.

Those are all my thoughts for today. Everything is great - Raymond is napping after a really fun day at the park with the cousins. Tonight Roxie and I are going to a party that I have to tell you all about tomorrow! Hope you all had a great weekend and feel as blessed as I do with all you've been given :)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know what ya mean about it being hard to live far away from family but your right God has His hand on your little families life for sure and your where you are for a reason. When we live far away, we just have to keep a close connection to our family the best we can and leave the rest to God.

    I bet you are an awesome swimmer! Your awesome at anything you do Miss Randi Jo!!!! And I bet you are an awesome homemaker too! When you get back home, post more homemaking posts!!!! :) Maybe take pics of your moms garden and pantry and any baking that y'all do. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to say, "Ditto" to what Candy said. Always remember....Lessons learned are lessons taught.

    And I think you're off to a great start with teaching Raymond christian and life values.

    Can't wait to hear about the party tomorrow!! :)

    ReplyDelete