Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What I love about Brandon --- Quality # 1

I feel the need to write about my husband Brandon. But I don't know where to start. I could write a book about him and all we've gone through (in our 6 years together) but it would take a lifetime - much like what I have in my heart for God, my mom, grandma, brother, sister, dad, etc. etc. Brandon though, he is one of a kind. There won't ever be another anything like him. I find so much joy that is his not typical. He surprises me always with how much faith, how much patience and calm he can have. It doesn't surprise me at all that he has no enemies whatsoever. He's so likeable and agreeable and makes those around him feel at peace as well.

I have been surrounded my life with people who are full of love and patience and peace -- which are important characteristics to have when you are surrounded by me :). He is the exact opposite personality as me - he's a phlegmatic while I'm a driver/sanguine. We are a lot like my great grandparents in that way, Grandma Talley & Grandpa Talley. My great grandfather never said a lot but when he did, everybody sure did listen - just like Brandon. He was wise and understood the verse that includes be slow to speak and anger, quick to listen. The best way to describe my great grandmother is that she was referred to as "The Madame" by my great grandfather.

I do have a problem with my tongue - I often say things I really regret afterwards. It is something I have been working on for years. Grandma's words keep repeating in my head whenever something 'bad' slips out --- "don't break the silence unless you can improve upon it". Ouch, oh if I could be more like grandma. I have DEFINITELY improved in the past 6 years on not talking as MUCH. In fact, I am really proud of myself for the fact that I talk very little and talk slow enough for people to understand! When I look back at high school tapes of myself -- I'm like GEESH! Take a breath! But... I still do have a problem with WHAT I say. It's not a problem when I'm in 'public' or when I'm around a group of people. It happens when my guard is down and I'm at home completely free and relaxed - I let things slip that I shouldn't. I end up hurting the ones I love the most. It should be opposite -- I should treat the ones I love the most, the best. But I don't. I need help on this. It all originates from my temper. I need to control my temper and CHILL OUT when things bother me and aggravate me and be able to button those lips when I feel my blood start to boil. I am asking God for help on this - there is no way I can do it alone.


Well I had wanted to write about Brandon - but instead I am writing about one of the qualities that I LOVE so much in Brandon that I wish I had myself. I understand the power of the spoken word. I know all the verses in the Bible about the tongue, mouth, words. I know that the farmer sows the Word and reeps through what he sows. I KNOW this, but I am not practicing it at all times. Guard my heart God so I will not cause any more pain to those I love. I would be ashamed if Raymond saw me at my worst --- and I am ashamed that you have seen it. Help this broken girl - once again I want a fresh start! Make it all new for me again God, let me start over! Starting NOW!

So there is quality #1 I love about Brandon that I am trying to learn from him. The ability to control his temper & his tongue. This will be a cool way to write about him. I'll think of quality # 2 soon!

1 comment:

  1. My husband has this same quality, Randi and it truly is such a stable way for the Head of the Home to be. It makes for such stability not only for you but for your young son. You are indeed blessed.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete